Renowned for its ability to quickly and naturally heal injured tissues, platelet-rich plasma (PRP) also has several benefits in cosmetic procedures. At Metro Dermatology, we include PRP in our facial rejuvenation and hair loss treatments to maximize results.
Metro Dermatology has convenient locations to serve you for platelet-rich plasma in Bronx, Elmhurst, and Flushing, New York and Englewood, and platelet rich plasma New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
What is PRP?
The benefits of PRP were first discovered in athletes, who were able to recover after injury and return to their sports more quickly than with medications or physical therapy alone.
Although blood is mostly a liquid, it also has solid components such as red and white cells and platelets. While platelets are mostly recognized for their ability to clot the blood, they also contain important growth factors that can be utilized to regenerate tissues in the body.
PRP is a sample of the patient’s blood that has been spun in a centrifuge. This separates the components of the blood, resulting in plasma that is enriched with a higher concentration of platelets than normal.
Once the centrifuge process is complete, the PRP is extracted from the rest of the blood sample, and either injected into treated areas or applied topically.
How is PRP Used in Treatment?
When used in conjunction with cosmetic treatments such as facial rejuvenation and hair restoration, PRP has several benefits:
- Facial rejuvenation – Used either by itself or with other skin rejuvenation treatments, the growth factors in PRP can promote the production of new collagen, elastin, and blood vessels in treated areas to create smoother, tighter skin and restore a natural glow.
- Hair restoration – For male and female patients experiencing premature hair loss, PRP has been proven to help stimulate hair regrowth in affected areas. The PRP is injected into the scalp to create new growth tissues at the source.
What are the Benefits of PRP?
In addition to naturally stimulating the regrowth of healthy tissue, PRP has several other benefits for patients, including:
- Minimally-invasive treatment that allows patients to return to normal activities immediately afterward
- PRP is your body’s tissues, eliminating the risk of complications and adverse reactions when it is reintroduced to the body.
- Unlike other rejuvenation treatments that only provide temporary improvement, PRP stimulates the growth of new tissues for continued improvement over time.
- Other than slight redness, swelling or bruising at the site of injection, PRP has no major side effects.
During your consultation with our medical team, several factors will be considered to determine if treatment with PRP is right for you and your skin concerns.
Serving Englewood NJ: Englewood Cliffs, Teaneck, Leonia, Fort Lee, Palisades Park, Hackensack, Bergenfield, Tenafly, and Ridgefield Park, NJ
Serving Flushing NY: College Point, Whitestone, Murray Hill, Bayside, Fresh Meadows, and Corona, NY
Serving Elmhurst NY: Jackson Heights, Woodside, Sunnyside, Rego Park, and Astoria, NY
Serving Bronx NY: Southwest Bronx, Downtown Bronx, Concourse Village, East Tremont, Highbridge, Hunts Point, Longwood, Foxhurst, Woodstock, Melrose, Morris Heights, Morrisania, Crotona Park East, Mott Haven, Port Morris, The Hub, Mount Eden, and Mount Hope, NY