The number one reason why people consider removing a tattoo is that they just do not like it anymore. There are many other reasons because 30 percent of the people in the U.S. have a tattoo, and 25 percent of people who have a tattoo want to remove it. There are several ways to remove a tattoo, some of which are invasive and ineffective. Laser tattoo removal is not only very effective, but the lasers can also go deep into the skin to remove the ink without damaging the surrounding skin.
Some of the most common reasons to consider laser tattoo removal are:
- You got the tattoo for a cause or partner that is no longer part of your life. This is a common reason for people who have tattooed their partner’s name somewhere on their body and would like it removed after the break-up. This may also be true for a cause or brand that you no longer support.
- Your tattoo is old and looks faded and sagging. You may like to get rid of it and have a new one on another part of your body. As the skin ages, it may lose elasticity. This could negatively affect the appearance of your tattoo.
- You are planning to join the military and your tattoo is one of the types that are not accepted. For example, tattoos should not be visible when you are in uniform. While different branches of the military have their own rules, they all agree that tattoos on the hands, face and neck are unacceptable.
- You like having a tattoo, but the one you got was done by an amateur tattoo artist and you would like to replace it with brilliant, clear ink.
- You are looking for a job and your prominent tattoos are hampering your chances of getting the job you want. In some professions, a visible tattoo is not acceptable or considered unprofessional.
- You want to have a tattoo, but you would like to change the art. For many tattoos, laser tattoo removal allows you to put another tattoo in the same place.
Laser tattoo removal targets the pigment in the ink with laser light. There are different wavelengths for different colors. The laser breaks the ink into miniscule pieces that are absorbed by your body. The ink is carried away in your blood stream and eliminated.
When you talk to our specialist at Metro Dermatology about laser tattoo removal, you may learn about the possibilities for removing your tattoo. The number of treatments you need may depend on the size, location, age and color of your tattoo, among other things. We have offices in Flushing, Englewood, Elmhurst and the Bronx. Contact us today to schedule a consultation!